CNAM 2011: Building Communities
5th annual CNAM workshop
May 8 to 11, 2011 | Delta Burnaby Hotel | Burnaby, BC
It's only fitting to share best practices for municipal infrastructure asset management in the city that Maclean's magazine in 2009 named "The Best-Run City in Canada". Centered on the theme Building Communities, CNAM 2011 in Burnaby, British Columbia, promises to deliver leading edge professional development and networking opportunities to help municipalities of all sizes extend the framework, focus and vision of their asset management program.
Extending the Framework
Putting asset management into practical terms is important for communities of all sizes. Presentations and workshops will focus on real life examples of asset management components that illustrate how communities have met the challenges of asset management in their context.
Presenters under the "Extending the Framework" stream will outline experience, best practices and case studies to address:
- How have you provided better front line service?
- What long-term strategies have worked for you?
- How have you used the principles of sustainability to support asset management?
Extending the Focus
Innovation in our asset management practices requires alignment, leadership and effective communication at multiple levels. Difficulties are likely to arise when the focus, needs and desires of asset managers do not align to the focus, needs and desires of the organization's decision makers and staff. This ability to engage multiple stakeholders in many different ways and levels is critical to the success of asset management programs.
Presenters under the "Extending the Focus" stream will outline experience, best practices and case studies to address:
- What have you done to work with your staff at both the big picture and operational levels to ensure alignment happens?
- What have you done to prepare your staff to meet the challenges of changing the way we do business and to communicate and work effectively with others?
- What success stories can you share?
- What have you done to engage your senior staff and your political governing bodies?
- What ideas on your future direction do you have?
Extending the Vision
In this relatively new yet quickly expanding profession, asset managers need to be looking ahead. Extending the vision to what we need to be thinking about and what communities in Canada and other countries are doing to look forward will be important to sustainability in our industry.
Presenters under the "Extending the Vision" stream will outline experience, best practices and case studies to address:
- Where do we go next?
- How does PSAB 3150, IFRS, SORP all come together and where are they taking us?
- What challenges do we face on the road to improved asset management?
- What are others doing to prepare?